Anticipating the Gift...
I can easily recall, as a young boy, eyeing the colorful presents that were tucked away under the glowing Christmas tree in hopeful anticipation, wondering what could be hidden inside those beautiful packages and how my life was about to be improved for the better. However, unlike my more clever brothers, the art of predicting what those brightly wrapped packages actually contained was not one of my stronger traits. I like to contend that my inability to predict well stemmed from my preference for wanting to be surprised. But for whatever the reason, I simply wasn’t good at guessing. If predicting what we might get for Christmas is tough, consider how well the prophets of the Old Testament were able to predict, with astounding accuracy and exacting detail, God’s amazing gift of salvation to us.
Examples | Predicted | Fulfilled
Born in Bethlehem | Micah 5:2 | Luke 2:4-7
Worshipped by Shepherds | Psalm 72:9 | Luke 2:9
Flight to Egypt | Hosea 11:1 | Matthew 2:13-14
Given the odds and when these prophecies were foretold, the accuracy of these Christmas gift predictions are breathtaking.
Every year, SCC has published its annual Christmas Wish List. The list includes several items cut from the budget as the college strives to keep student cost down. Recognizing the value of these items in the overall operation of the college, the college uses the Wish List to share its needs. In response to the list, the college’s supporters have blessed us by donating special items on the list or giving funds to purchase them.
If you see an item that you would like the college to purchase, please send a contribution toward that purchase, even if it is only a fraction of the total cost. When sending your donations, please write “Merry Christmas” on the memo line of your check. If you see an item on the list that you currently have and would like to donate to the college, please contact the college so that we can make delivery arrangements. If you wish to make a general gift to help support the college in a broader way, you can note that by leaving the memo line blank.
Thank you for sharing in the ministry of sharing God’s gift to the world.
Summit Christian College
Our Christmas Wish List
Help with our Boiler: This year in addition to our regular Wish List, we are including a request for you to consider the possibility of giving a gift that will help us pay what is left on purchasing the campus’s new boiler. The total cost of this project is about $50,000. Several of our supporters have responded generously, but we still have a long way to go in covering the project.
Laptop Computers: Two laptops for staff ($1150 each).
Desktop Computers: Three desktop computers for staff ($900 each).
Kitchen Updates: Include Fire Door and Heat Booster for Dishwasher ($4,500).
Study carrels for library: Need 4 carrels to provide private study areas for students ($470 each).
Vaccuum: Rubbermaid 6 quart backpack vacuum for Men’s Dorm ($179).
Maintenance Department Updates:
Used golf cart for maintenance.
Leaf Blower ($250).
Screens - 2 needed ($200 each).
Projectors - 2 needed ($575 each).
Wireless Microphone ($400).
Portable Sound System ($1200).
New Library Books: To increase the library’s effectiveness in supporting our curriculum, the faculty would like to add the following books to the circulation:
• Bainton, Roland H. Early and Medieval Christianity. Boston: Beacon, 1962. $2.00
• Beale, G. K. Handbook on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament: Exegesis and Interpretation. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2012. $14.00
• Beale, G. K. A New Testament Biblical Theology: The Unfolding of the Old Testament in the New. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2011. $35.00
• Burge, Gary M., and Gene L. Green. The New Testament in Antiquity. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Zondervan, 2009. $30.00
• Estep, James Riley, and Karen Lynn Estep. Mapping out Curriculum in Your Church: Cartography for Christian Pilgrims. Nashville, Tenn.: B & H Academic, 2012. $24.00
• Ferguson, Everett. Backgrounds of Early Christianity. 2nd ed. Grand Rapids, Mich.: W.B. Eerdmans, 1993. $26.00
• Highfield, Ron. God, Freedom & Human Dignity. Downers Grove: IVP, 2013. $15.00
• Jeffers, James S. The Greco-Roman World of the New Testament Era: Exploring the Background of Early Christianity. Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsity,1999. $13.00
• Kaatz, Kevin W., ed. The Rise of Christianity. ABC-CLIO, 2015. $60.00
• Knight, George R. Philosophy and Education: An Introduction in Christian Perspective. Berrien Springs, Mich.: Andrews UP, 1980. $24.00
• Walton, John H. Genesis 1 as Ancient Cosmology. Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 2011. $15.00
• Walton, John H. Covenant: God’s Purpose, God’s Plan. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2010. $15.00
• Walton, John H. Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament: Introducing the Conceptual World of the Hebrew Bible. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2006. $17.00
• Walton, John H. The Lost World of Adam and Eve: Genesis 2 and 3 and The human Origins Debate. IVP Academy Wilhoit, Jim. Nurture That Is Christian. Wheaton, Ill.: Victor, 1995. Print. $15.00.
We are so grateful for your help with this year’s Christmas Wish List and for supporting the students and staff at Summit Chistian College. God Bless you. Please visit our website, www.summitcc.net to stay up-to-date about our school all year!
Summit Christian College | 2025 21st St., Gering, NE 69341 | www.summitcc.net | (308) 632-6933