top of page

Time in the Word becomes real

Psalm 119:11

I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

Read your Bible. Read your Bible. We’ve all head this, right? You’re a Christian so you have to read your Bible. We hear this so many times that sometimes it loses its significance.

So why do we need to read our Bibles? This is an issue that I’ve been struggling with. I was raised in a Christian home where the importance of the Bible was heavily emphasized. We read the Bible in the morning, we had to read on our own and at some point during the day and take notes, and then give those notes when we got together as a family at night and read.

I’ve always known that reading the Bible was important that it had information, that I needed to know, but I didn’t understand how it related to my Christian walk.

Not until I went to youth group. At youth group I learned that the Bible showed how to have a personal relationship with God. Being a Christian wasn’t just following a ton of rules; it wasn’t just a religion for the mind. Being a Christian was a lifestyle that encompasses mind and heart.

When I understood that I began studying the Bible, not because I had to but because I wanted to.

And then I came to Bible College. The professors will tell you that the Bible can become just another textbook, and let me tell you, they aren’t joking. I struggled, especially spring semester last year to read the Bible. I felt like it had again become something that I had to do, not something I wanted to do. I kept telling myself that I would start reading again, that I wouldn’t let other things get in the way again. To be honest, all my efforts fell flat. However, once summer came I firmly resolved to read, because I knew with going on Camp Teams that I couldn’t tell those kids to read the Bible if I wasn’t. I couldn’t help them if I wasn’t walking with God and obeying him.

Last summer was probably one of the times that I was most close with God. I read the Bible, prayed, and journaled about all I was experiencing. Not to say there weren’t tough times; there were plenty of those. But I knew who was with me and I clung to Him during those times. And then something happened. I’m not going to go into full detail, but I broke up with my boyfriend and I lost sight of God. I let that come in between God and me. I began letting other things get more important than reading the Bible.

Coming back to the here and now, I’ve been struggling with reading the Bible this whole semester. I know I should and I’ve seen the negative effect it has on my life as I let other things become more important. Going back two weekends ago, the choir went on a trip to give concerts in Cozad and Bayard. For both concerts, Aaron’s (Professor Aaron Prohs) message was on the importance of the Word. Aaron, your words cut to my heart. Reading the Bible is more than just gaining knowledge. Reading the Bible is about gaining a better understanding of the God who made us and sacrificed for us and how to relate to Him.

Reading the Bible gives us a new focus in our lives and points us in the way of the life eternal. Does knowing that always make it easier to read the Bible? No. But that’s where our brothers and sisters in Christ come in. We are to build each other up and encourage each other and part of that is keeping each other accountable. We can encourage each other to read the Bible and study it together. As the body of Christ, we can be there for each other.

So I encourage you, read the Bible. Seek God’s promises and His will in your life. I promise you, your life will be the better because of it.

“You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13

bottom of page